Hydel High School was presented with $200,000 towards the school’s sports programme, during FLOW’s Journey to Champs stop, at the Ferry-based institution on Monday.The second stop on the Flow Journey to Champs route was well received as the students enjoyed the show provided by the telecommunications and media company.Corey Bennett, Vice Principal and head coach of the track and field team, said they were thankful for the assistance from FLOW as they continue preparation for the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships, which will run from March 15-19 at the National Stadium.”We are very pleased; we would have been doing something special to attract support for three years. Any assistance we get is good. This is the third year that they (FLOW) are coming here and it was a good vibes,” Bennett told The Gleaner.Hydel High finished second behind champions Edwin Allen High in the girls’ section last year and they are hopeful of doing better by getting more points.”I thought we were quite prepared for Champs, but did not perform to expectations at Western Relays last Saturday. We still have some work to do in order to achieve our objective this year at Champs,” he disclosed.Stephen Miller, FLOW’s sponsorship manager, said this year’s ‘Journey’ that started at Jamaica College two weeks ago provided a big buzz.”It is good, Champs fever is in the air, the atmosphere is electric. The students and athletes are eagerly anticipating the big event. We are pleased to continue to contribute to the schools,” he added.The entertainment saw the students having a good time as popular deejay Chi Ching Ching gave a good performance.Champs title sponsors, GraceKennedy, were also on hand and provided products for the students.The next stop on the FLOW Journey to Champs route will be at Kingston College this Friday, starting at 1 p.m.
If they avoid defeat against Uruguay at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium on Monday, they will win the group and play Peru in the last eight.But a defeat would send them to a quarter-final against Colombia, who won a Group B containing Argentina with a 100 percent record.“This is the theme to consider, as well as how he reacts today after training,” said Colombian Rueda.“From what I’ve sensed, everyone wants to play tomorrow and everyone is very committed.”Sanchez has started to rediscover his best form in Brazil following a dreadful club season with Manchester United.He’s scored two goals in two Group C games — more than he managed in 20 Premier League matches for United this season.“We can only decide (if he plays) after evening training, whether he can run, whether he can handle the workload,” added Rueda, who said that Sanchez would either start or not be involved at all.Chile’s other main star — Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal — is also a doubt.“Artur’s case also depends on how his muscle reacts to the recovery period,” said Rueda.Monday’s clash promises to be a fiery affair as Chile and Uruguay have recent history.In 2015, when Chile won the Copa America for the first time, they knocked out Uruguay in a controversial quarter-final.Uruguay’s Edinson Cavani was sent off after picking up a second booing for flicking his hand into the face of Gonzalo Jara, in retaliation for the Chile defender trying to shove a finger up his backside.Jara, who is unlikely to start the game, was also punched by Luis Suarez during a match in 2013 after touching the firebrand Uruguay forward’s testicles.Rueda is more concerned about the threat posed by Uruguay’s talented strike pair than any potential trouble.“Their great virtue is that they’re great finishers, they penetrate really well, they’ve scored an amazing number of international goals,” said Rueda.Suarez with 58 and Cavani with 47 are the top two scorers in Uruguay’s history.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda (right) must decide whether or not to play Alexis Sanchez in Monday’s clash with Uruguay © AFP / NELSON ALMEIDARIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil, Jun 24 – Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda faces a Copa America dilemma on Monday: either rest star forward Alexis Sanchez, or go all-out for top spot in Group C.Sanchez aggravated an old ankle injury in Friday’s 2-1 win over Ecuador that secured the reigning champions’ place in the quarter-finals.
Corning >> The Cardinals went tumbling fast into the division 2 championship after beating No. 4 Gridley 3-0 Tuesday.The wind kept the ball constantly moving out of bounds but often in Corning’s favor. Ricky Guzman led the top-seeded Cardinals in shots with 8 on goal, keeping keeper Diego Ramos on his toes throughout the game. Scores were made by Saul Partida, Francisco Morfin and Julian Guzman, who made three shots on goal. Goalkeeper Joan Perez made nine saves, many just before …
Four members of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba(LeT) have sneaked into Mumbai recently to carry out “violent” attacks with the aim of causing “destruction”, police said on Thursday night.Police also released the photograph of one of them and issued an advisory to the citizens of this metropolis to remain alert.”The four were identified as Abdul Kareem Moosa, Noor Abu Ilahi, Walid Jinnah and Mahfooz Alam. The four recently sneaked into the city to carry out extremely dangerous activity,” Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy told a news conference. Roy also released a sketch of Jinnah.The strikes were being planned in connection with possibly the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s festivities, he added.Roy said he had no information on the nationalities of the four persons.On Tuesday, the Centre had sounded a terror alert for Mumbai and Ahmedabad following specific Intelligence inputs that the LeT teams may have entered the two western cities to carry out strikes.The four persons are in the age group of 20 to 30 years, Roy said.”The four persons are planning violent attacks that is going to cause destruction,” the JPC (Crime) warned.The information of the plans by the terrorists are “fairly specific”, he said, adding “We believe the threat is serious.”Roy also said Mumbai Police has formed Special cells in a bid to “neutralise” the four terrorists. He did not want to speculate whether more than four LeT men have entered the metropolis which witnessed the country’s worst ever terror strike in November 2008 killing 166 people.advertisementThe police have set up dedicated phone number — 022-22633333 — to enable the people pass on information about the militants and in the event of an emergency.”Citizens can call up at the dedicated number or at 100, if they spot the one whose photo was released,” Roy said.In September, police released photographs of two suspected foreign terror suspects–a clean-shaven Kalimuddin Khan alias Rameshwar Pandit (28) and bearded Hafij Khijir Ulla Sarif (25) sporting a skull cap–on the eve of Eid and Ganeshotsav festivities. But the duo could not be traced.A Crime Branch source said that Kalimuddin was a Pakistani and Sarif was from Bangladesh and both were suspected to be members of terror outfit HuJI.Police were taking utmost precautions and massive deployment of police have been made at all sensitive locations, worship places and crowded places to ensure safety of the citizens, Roy said.Several police teams have been formed to track the four who are believed in aged between 20 to 30 years, police sources said.”On the eve of Ganesh festival, we had released the photographs of two terror suspects and alerted the citizens.The ten-days of the festival went off peacefully. Now also we feel that the citizens will remain and help us in all possible way and we hope everything goes fine,” Roy said.Asked if it was the same input given by Central agencies two days back, Roy said, “We are not in a position to reveal our sources.”Asked if security agencies lost track of the four due to which they had to issue advisory and release the photo, Roy replied, “We have not lost their track. But we want to keep the citizens alert as well.” He refused to divulge as to how the LeT men entered the city.Security forces launched “house-to-house” searches in some specific areas in Mumbai, sources said.A three dimensional security apparatus– land, air and water — has been put in place, particularly around the Taj Mahal Hotel, one of the sites of the 26/11 carnage.Roads near the iconic Taj remained closed from today for 15 days and the area is under complete surveillance.Similar security arrangement was in place near Taj during the visit of US President Barack Obama, who stayed in the plush hotel, in early November.Parking on the roads around Taj has been banned for the same period and the cars of guests of Taj and residents around the hotel would be allowed but only after thorough checking.The residents would be soon provided with security stickers for their cars to avoid inconvenience.Colaba area, particularly the places, including the Gateway of India, where large crowds are expected during the festivities, would be under complete surveillance through high resolution CCTVs.The sea-front up to five nautical miles was being guarded round the clock by police armed with advanced boats and sophisticated equipment, police said.Police are also co-ordinating with Navy and Coast Guard officials who are conducting air surveillance.